Fisheries Officer, WWF-Thailand
Directly reports to: Fishery Project Manager,
Sustainable Market Department, WWF-Thailand
Validity: One year, with option to renew for
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
WWF’s mission is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature by conserving biodiversity, ensure sustainable use of resources and reduce pollution and wasteful consumption.
As the production and demand for food, fiber and energy commodities threaten the environment, WWF-Thailand’s Sustainable Markets Project works with the communities, businesses and government agencies involved in these industries to reduce their environmental impact.
I. Job purpose:
To plan and carry out activities related to wild-caught fisheries and seafood supply chain under Fishery Improvement Projects in Thailand. This includes communication on the progress of the projects both for technical reports and public awareness purposes
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities
1) Plan and carry out activities related to Fishery Improvement Projects (FIPs).
2) Assist in research relevant to FIPs and review fishery information, laws and regulations, and fishery situations in Thailand.
3) Monitor and report on activities under FIPs to ensure activities adhere to internationally approved standards.
4) Create and develop ideas to raise public awareness for domestic seafood consumption and marine conservation.
5) Respond to and follow up inquiries from relevant agencies with the supervision of the Fishery Project Manager.
6) Maintain and develop existing database of relevant agencies and networks.
7) Liaise with relevant agencies involved in Fishery Improvement Projects. (i.e. government, company, institution, university NGO, fishermen, and donors).
8) Facilitate meetings with stakeholders related to fishery work.
9) Manage documents for related fishery projects for wild-caught seafood team.
10) Attend trainings to develop relevant knowledge and skills.
This JD covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
1) Bachelor’s Degree in Fisheries, Marine Science, Environmental Management, or related fields
2) Passion to transform fisheries in Thailand to be sustainable
3) Enthusiasm to learn new issues related to WWF’s seafood work
4) Ability to communicate well in English
5) Good fisheries knowledge and coordination skills.
6) Confidence and friendly personality
7) Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs)
IV.WWF's Mission and Values
1. It is part of every staff member's terms of reference to contribute to WWF's mission:
WWF’s Mission is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by:
- conserving the world's biological diversity
- ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable
- reducing pollution and wasteful consumption.
2. It is also part of every staff member's terms of reference to embody WWF's values, which are: Passionate and Optimistic, Challenging and Inspiring, Credible and Accountable, Persevering and Delivering Results.
How to apply : Interested candidate, please submit your motivation letter and resume stating your expected salary to email@example.com by July 31st, 2017 or submit by mail to WWF-Thailand 92/2 Soi Paholyothin 5, Paholyothin Road, Samsen nai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400 Tel : +66 (0) 2 619 8534-7.
For more information, please visit our website at http://www.wwf.or.th/what_we_do/
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Otherwise, your resume will be filed into our candidate database for future reference and consideration.