The Dawna-Tenasserim Landscape (DTL)
To build a green economy that benefits people while conserving natural capital.The DTL Integrity Project works to identify and proactively address threats to the integrity of this landscape. WWF engages with local people and government to help guide the development and associated infrastructure taking place there, to build a green economy that benefits people while conserving natural capital.
Activities in FY2016 included:
- Strengthened local people’s voices and capacity to participate in decision-making regarding the Dawei Road and Special Economic Zone (SEZ) by using GIS and Google maps as tools to monitor impact of the Dawei project.
- Supported surveys and analysis to identify the threats from new roads, proposed dams, and other infrastructure in the Western Forest Complex (WEFCOM) and adjacent areas in Myanmar.
- Supported a study on the socio-economic impacts of the proposed route of the Dawei road in Thailand to demonstrate effects on local communities.
- Helped bolster local understanding of natural capital valuation and assessment tools (Integrated Valuation of Ecosystem Services and Trade-offs: InVEST) and apply it into infrastructure project’s environmental impact assessment.
- Supported Seub Nakasathien Foundation to conserve forests and maintain ecological corridors in the Western Forest Complex.
- Used a paramotor to take aerial photos and video of portions of the DTL to better communicate the uniqueness of this landscape and secure support for its conservation